Monday, November 7, 2011

Open About Difficulties

So I've been at my new job for over 8 months now, not so new anymore huh?
What I like about it (aside from the obvious parts of it being in my field and more money and not sleeping overnight) is that I really feel like the company and my supervisors are on my side. This comes especially true in regards to my stuttering. For the first time with a job and clients/customers I can be truly open about my stuttering and talk about it with the kids. I feel like they understand and appreciate my openness in regards to my stuttering. The kids are genuinely curious about my SpeechEasy device and always want to have it in their ear to hear what it sounds like. Its sort of funny how they act in regards to my SpeechEasy too, during a fight or restraint, they (sub?)consciously avoid my left ear so the device doesn't get damaged. How funny that in their moments of rage and craziness, they avoid damaging the SpeechEasy. They don't care about damaging anything else, in fact they often target things to damage!

I really started to notice these trends when I interviewed for a new position within the company last week. I told the interviewer that the kids are really fascinated by my stuttering and want to know all about it. I told her that I think its something that the kids can understand that its difficult for me to talk sometimes but I always manage to communicate effectively.

The new position requires a lot of phone calls and work over the phone to plan meetings and get the kids on the hospital unit, out and into other placements. I told the interviewer that I'm no longer afraid of the phone and recounted a story that happened the previous week when I had to be on the phone for several calls dealing with my car and a repair. I told her that; yes, its difficult but I'm very open with it and after a short explanation of the "cutting in and out" or pauses, people on the phone are very easy to deal with and I am able to communicate well. I think she appreciated my honesty about the difficulties but willingness to work through it and get the job done.

Hopefully I made a good enough impression because it seems like a great job that I would do well at... also has better hours, no weekends or holidays and more money = WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment